Professional Development and Mentoring Program (PDMC)
2021 Call for Mentees
The American Academy of Health Behavior (AAHB) provides a 12-month mentoring opportunity to a competitive pool of junior-level health behavior researchers. The purpose of the Research Scholars Mentorship Program (RSMP) is to mentor early career investigators in the production of high-quality scholarly research-based products that address any area of health behavior-related research.
Senior investigators from AAHB (mentors) are partnered with selected junior investigators (mentees) to help them develop skills and gain experience in research-related activities. Selected applicants are matched with senior-level AAHB members based on content or methods expertise. The overarching goal of the RSMP is to promote excellence in health behavior research among Academy members. The research-based products and/or processes resulting from the RSMP are determined by each mentee-mentor pair collaboratively.
Mentees selected for the RSMP will be matched in February 2021, and mentee/mentor pairs will be recognized at the 2021 AAHB meeting (and again at the 2022 AAHB meeting to formally recognize the completion of the program). Details about the RSMP can be found at: https://newprairiepress.org/hbr/vol2/iss4/7/.
Mentee Eligibility Criteria
· Be current, paid members of AAHB in good standing at the time of application
· Have completed a doctoral level degree in a health behavior discipline
· Be able to articulate a health behavior research agenda
· Identify three Preferred AAHB Mentors the Mentee believes would be a good mentor match based on their research interests and career goals (program leadership will attempt to recruit them with no guarantees)
o Members: For a list of AAHB fellows and members, please visit http://aahb.org and log on with your username and password. Go to ‘Members Only’ menu for Membership Directory. Non-members: email Matthew Smith or Joanne Sommers for access to a full list of AAHB members.
o It is recommended that the Mentee contact proposed Mentors to determine their interest in the program and solicit agreement to participate in the RSMP together (prior to the application submission, if possible).
· Develop research-based products (e.g., grant proposal, manuscript) and engage in research-based processes (e.g., interviewing, navigating tenure and promotion)
· Commit 12-months to the mentor-mentee relationship, which will include participation in the following:
o A teleconference kick-off meeting
o Four hours of face-to-face dedicated mentoring time at the next annual AAHB meeting*
o Developing a mentor/mentee work plan
o Producing a mid-year progress report
o Producing a final report
o Keeping AAHB informed about professional accomplishments via survey participation
Interested applicants should email the following information by January 31, 2021 to the RSMP Director, Matthew Lee Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
o Mentee Application Form (Form on following page)
o Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
o Personal statement of interest (maximum of 500 words)
Mentee Application: 2021_Mentee_Application.pdf
To view all Professional Development and Research Scholars, click Here: Professional Development Research Scholars